Entrepreneurs before filing for patent registration – highly honored intellectual property rights, go through a critical step – Patent search. Patent search helps the applicant to be sure of whether his content is an invention or a discovery. In this blog, we will be looking into how patent search is done in India.
Most entrepreneurs while dealing with patent search, are with an assumption that doing a manual search on sites like www.sciencedirect.com or www.google.com would be sufficient, come to a conclusion that the process is easy peasy. Well, the fact is, on those websites you would find only 25% information, whereas 75% of information is available as patent documents and are never published. Now, I hope we have a come to a conclusion why this procedure is important. Moving on,
Patent search is the process by which prior inventions or ideas are examined, with an objective to find information that bears a close similarity to a given patent or proposed invention. The documents searched during a patent search may include granted Indian, U.S. and foreign patents, published patent applications, and non-patent literature, such as the Web, product literature, and scientific journals and databases.
Patent search is an extensive data mining, a detailed search on:
- Previous patents
- Trade journal articles
- Publications (including data books and catalogs)
- Public discussions (conference and seminar)
- Trade shows
- Products, devices, and equipment.
Types of patent search:
- Patentability Search – Done to determine if:
- Validity Search –
- Examiners on patent claims (Granted patent & Published patents)
- Technical publications (like journals)
- Non-Technical publications (like brochures)
- Infringement Search –
- Infringement check
- Territorial search – since patent enforces in one country, does not protect your right in other countries.
- Clearance Search –
- Combination of Patentability Search + Infringement search
- Full text specification and claims of granted patents and published patents with a special emphasis on enforceable patent claims.
- Search of Expired patents, technical publications (like journals) and non-technical publications.
- State of – the – art – searches:
- Full-text specification and claims of granted patents and published patents from all major patent offices of the world (Worldwide database)
- Technical publications (like journals) and non-technical publications (like product brochures)
- Search is carried out for whole technical field or a part of technical field according to the requirement of person concerned
- It is not limited to unexpired patent like in case of Infringement search
- It is not limited to one inventive concept like in case of Patentability search
- Patent Landscape search –
- To monitor markets of interest
- To identify gaps in and improve your research and development
- To determine which of your prospective patents will have significant commercial value
- To confirm which inventions are now in the public domain
- To give a better understanding of current competitors and identify future ones.
- It involves all features of State-of-the-art search
- It involves the different types of analysis on data generated by State-of-the-art search
- In short, it is nothing but the analysis of large data set, both patent and non-patent documents, generated by State-of-the-art search.
Remember, patent search is an extensive process, and it is done in all three stages of filing patent:
- Before Patent Application
- During Patent Execution
- After Patent Granting
Free online databases:
|Source Name||Website||Scope of Search|
|Google’s Patent search||http://www.google.com/patents||US patents only|
|USPTO||http://patft.uspto.gov/||US patents only|
|EPO||http://www.worldwide.espacenet.com/||EP patents, WIPO patents, Worldwide patents|
|Free Patents Online||http://www.freepatentsonline.com/||US Patents, EP Patents, JP Patents, WIPO Patents|
|Patent Facilitation Centre (PFC)||http://www.indianpatents.org.in/db/db.htm||Indian Patents (Abstract only)|
|http://ipindia.nic.in/patent/patents.htm||Indian Patents (Granted as well as 18 months Published
|BigPatent India||http://india.bigpatents.org/||Indian Patents (Granted as well as 18 months Published
|Source Name||Website||Scope of Search|
We at Wazzeer are fully equipped to provide affordable Patent search support, the Wazzeer platform enables efficient and productive project delivery, we would be happy to help you, let’s connect! 🙂